Thursday, December 30, 2010

24/7

I love watching HBO's 24/7 series. Right now they are following the Penguins and the Capitals as they lead up to the Winter Classic on 1/1/11 (might be rain delayed). I love the sports stuff. The passion and commitment always gets me. I relate to it. I understand it. It motivates me to see other athletes out there doing everything they can to realize their dreams. I still watch some pretty trashy reality shows but if there was a channel of sports reality that would be sweet! I might actually quit watching Bravo....

I watched the Ironman coverage as well. Did anyone else think there was way too much slow motion and an absurd amount of product placement? Was a lottery question whether you drove a Ford Edge? Come on, I don't need to see eight shots in a 4 minute segment of a family getting in and out of a Ford Edge! That said, I am always inspired. I just wish they would do a couple of segments on some awesome age groupers who are working 40+ hours per week and still kicking ass out there on the lava fields.

After a quick trip back to Chicago and Michigan where I whined WAY too much about the weather I have settled back into some serious training here in California. That is my 24/7 reality show. I love it. Christmas Eve was a long ride that ended up being longer than I thought it would be. I have done the loop before but I forget how long it actually takes. Knoxville Road along Lake Berryessa is always a big moment of truth. It is not CLOSE to home. Luckily, the general store was actually open and I went in thanking the woman behind the counter profusely for being open. A Milky Way candy bar was needed to get me home. It seemed like a great idea for about 30 minutes and then I got a stomach ache....Anyway, I got home just before dark, made some chili and fell asleep early. Christmas was casual with a yummy breakfast at home and then dinner with friends and a lot of dessert. I just stood at the table and nibbled on everything. Then I got another tummy ache....

Today is a leg day off before I finish up 2010 with 6 hours of training tomorrow. It is long but not too hard intensity wise. I am excited to actually have the ability to build a big base this year. In previous seasons my ability to do this has been hampered by being in Chicago and my coaching jobs. While I really miss coaching my college swimmers, I am excited to have the chance to see what I can do after a really solid few months of aerobic base work. One of the highlights of my recent visit to Chicago was being able to drop in on practice and see everyone.

Now that I am back in Napa training has resumed full force. Some days I get tired or a bit grumpy but I am always happy to be doing what I am doing. I am so excited about 2010 and can't wait to see what is to come in 2011. Some early plans for the new year include a training trip in Tucson, a trip to Tulum for a wedding and then my first race of the year in Puerto Rico! My former swimmers are actually on their way to PR right now for a training trip so they are scoping it out for me. I am hoping they come back with beach and food recommendations.

"If you focus on results you will never change, if you focus on change, you will get results." ~Jack Dixon

Wishing everyone a safe and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment