Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Daily Grind

"I see you here all the time, don't you get bored?" asked the older man at the pool this morning.

"No" I replied. "I guess it does not take much to keep me entertained."

"How come you are here so much? Don't you have a job?" he asked.

"Nope, this is it."

Blank stare and then "okay, well have a good swim." He dove in the pool.

I did my workout, staring at the blank line, rinsed off and then headed to the track to run in circles while the local high school football team worked out on the infield. I am pretty sure they were wondering what in the world I was doing. The only person who actually got it and showed a lot of support was a little girl who was there with her dad while he was coaching the football players. She was probably 3 years old. She ran around the track at least twice (no joke) and would look back waiting for me to pass her as I came around again and again. Hopefully I was able to inspire someone today with my hard work, even if she may be only 3 years old.

The thing is...I love this life. I love the training. I love getting up early and going to bed early. I love eating healthy. I love pushing my body and testing my limits. It makes me feel alive. It always has made me feel that way. I got away from it in my early 20s and I was somewhat lost. When swimming was over after college I figured it was time to move on. I thought I had to get a real job and sit at desk all day. I hated it.

I embrace everything about the training and racing---the good, the bad and the ugly. I am so excited to be able to do this for right now. I smile every day that I go out on my bike or get to run on a beautiful trail. I still like the black line at the pool.

I am not bored at all. And, if this guy is able to notice how often I am at the pool, how come he is not bored either? I see him there everyday. Although, my favorite guy at the pool is the one who comes to all the water aerobic classes and does not pay attention to the instructor but instead hits on the women in the class. He even stays for 2 classes in a row! I guess I should take note; when you get older you may not go to the bar as much but you still get hit on at your daily water aerobics class. Nice!

Dream big and do what you love no matter what anyone says.

1 comment:

  1. That just rocks. I, for one, am super jealous of your job. Although in the summer I'm lucky and kind of feel like I get a teensy little taste of it...at a much slower pace, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete